As I am the only girl in the house, we tend to watch a lot of boy movies for our Friday night movie night. Even our puppy is a boy…I am outnumbered. The boys love anything that gets their testosterone pumped up! They love the movie Here Comes The Boom. (Kevin James is funny) So, I have been wanting to write about oils that powerfully fight all of the sicknesses that seem to creep in during the winter months.
Cue the theme song … Boom! Here comes the Boom!
Essential oils are immune supporting….bacteria and viruses cannot live in the presence of therapeutic grade essential oils.
Essential oils are highly oxygenating. Oxygen and disease can’t exist in the same environment. So as we head into winter it is good to be prepared with essential oils… bacteria and viruses don’t stand a chance!
Here are the four essential oils that are in our arsenal every winter… Thieves, R.C. Peppermint and Lemon.
Thieves Oil is a blend of five essential oils that are scientifically documented to be highly anti-infectious, antiviral, antibacterial, and antiseptic. Thieves essential oil is a safe and natural way to care for your family’s health. With the concern over swine flu-H1N1, global pandemics, and other infectious disease, this potent oil blend is a powerful way to support your family’s health and wellness.
Thieves oil is a blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Rosemary and Eucalyptus Radiata
Clove :Immune enhancing, powerful antioxidant
Lemon Oil: Powerful antioxidant, natural solvent and cleanser, supports circulation
Cinnamon Bark: High in antioxidants, supports digestive system, relieves discomfort
Rosemary Oil: Naturally energizing, helps to restore mental alertness when experiencing mental fatigue
Eucalyptus Radiata: Highly antiviral, supports respiratory system, antibacterial
I use this everyday… I use this not only when my kids are sick, but as a preventative measure as well. I put this on my kids feet at night. I diffuse in my diffuser daily. At the first sign of a sniffle… this oil is going on. If I start feeling like a cold or cough is coming on.. I will put in a clear vegetable capsule. I will put about 5 drops in and then swallow. Boom! Symptoms disappear. 🙂
What are the Safety Precautions? Children under 18 months of age should not use this oil. Women who are pregnant should use caution. Can cause extreme irritation to the skin, therefore dilution is necessary. (not necessary to dilute when putting on the bottom of the feet)
This is what a size 00 Vegetable capsule looks like.
R.C. is a fantastic blend of nine essential oils that are specifically designed to support respiratory challenges including allergies, colds, bronchitis, congestion and sinus inflammation.
There are nine different essential oils in the R.C. blend.
• Eucalyptus globulus Essential Oil – has antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It is a strong antimicrobial germ killer. It reduces any throat infection!
• Eucalyptus radiata Essential Oil (Black Peppermint Oil) is anti-infectious, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and an expectorant. It combats bronchitis and sinusitis.
• Eucalyptus citriodora Essential Oil (Lemon Eucalyptus) has anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious and antispasmodic properties. It decongests and disinfects lungs and sinuses.
• Myrtle Essential Oil (Myrtus communis) has antiseptic, antibacterial and decongesting properties. It oxygenates and expels mucus from the respiratory system.
• Pine Essential Oil (Pinus sylvestris) has antiseptic, antibacterial antimicrobial antiviral and expectorant properties. Dilates and opens up the respiratory system, particularly the bronchial tract.
• Marjoram Essential Oil (Origanum majorana) has antibacterial and anti-spasmodic properties. It reduces spasms and is relaxing to the body.
• Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia) has analgesic and anti-spasmodic properties. It helps relief stress, sore muscles, menstrual cramps and nervous tension in the body.
• Cypress Essential Oil (Cupresus sepmervirens) strengthens the vascular system. It increases circulation and supports detoxification of the lymphatic system.
• Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha piperita) has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and pain blocking properties. It is soothing, cooling and dilating the respiratory system.
A couple years ago, my younger son, got a nasty cough… this sucker lasted for weeks. I found out about R.C. and started using this on him. Once I started using this, he started getting better. I would rub this on his chest and back during the day… sometimes every 4 hours. I would test first or use with a carrier oil if you are using for the first time. It has a strong smell. Really love this stuff!
Cough syrups are some of the most chemical loaded products with artificial colors and flavorings added. While traditional cough syrups are really drugs to suppress or force a cough, essential oils work with your body’s chemistry and not only build up your immune system, but they fight the bacteria & viruses causing your symptoms. So, I think it is better to go the R.C. route for a cough!
R.C. is also good for the croup. You can diffuse in the air and apply to the balls of the feet and the toes 2-3 times a day.
What are the Safety Precautions? RC should not be used by children under the age of 18 months.
Peppermint! The entire plant contains menthol, an organic compound with local anesthetic properties which provides a wonderful cooling sensation while it naturally alleviates discomfort. It also has antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, insecticidal and antispasmodic properties.
Did you know that a Kiel University study found that 10% of the peppermint oil in ethanol had the same result as taking a 1000 mg dose of paracetamol? Paracetamol is a widely used analgesic to combat tensions headaches, pain and to reduce fevers.
We not only use Peppermint to help with upset tummies, but we use it for a cold, cough and fever as well. For the upset tummy, rub a couple drops mixed with a carrier oil on the stomach. For sinus congestion you can put one drop on the roof of your mouth. For coughs and fever rub a couple drops on the bottom of the feet. (the Peppermint helps draw the heat out when you put this on the feet for a fever) You can diffuse this and will help with congestion. For a headache, mix with your carrier oil and rub across the forehead, on temples and over the sinuses. Be careful not to get this in your eyes.
(Best recipe for a fever: Put a couple drops of Thieves, Peppermint and Lemon on the bottom of the feet) That virus won’t know what hit it!
Safety precautions for Peppermint: I would advise not putting on babies or very small children. (under 3 yrs of age). You could diffuse in the room.
Lemon oil is most effective in warding off or reducing the severity of a virus. You can also rub on the bottom of the feet to help reduce fever as well.
We drink this in water daily (really reduces that gross phlegm) and then layer it with the other oils if they are sick.
**I usually don’t layer blended oils… meaning I don’t put Thieves and R.C. on the feet at the same time. I will put Thieves, Peppermint, Lemon and Lavender on the feet together and R.C. on the chest.**
To sum things up..
- Thieves is best for the flu.
- Lemon oil is most effective in warding off or reducing the severity of a virus and helps reduce a fever.
- Peppermint is best known for reducing or preventing a cold, cough or fever.
- RC works well when it’s applied to the chest or when it’s diffused or inhaled for sinus or chest relief.
- Thieves and R.C. work well together to combat a cough. The essential oils can ward off the illness if you act quickly as soon as you feel the first signs of getting sick. These oils help reduce the severity of the sickness if you act after you’re sick as well.
Essential oils have helped my family stay healthier and recover faster (when we do catch something). I am so grateful for them. They are truly God’s healing oils. And with these oils as our weapons against sickness… it is only fitting to quote LL Cool J. “Mama said knock you out!”
*Sharing experiences with essential oils is an effective way of learning to utilize these powerful gifts from Nature. With this knowledge we can take control of our personal health. However, we are required by law in the USA to state, “These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Products and techniques mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”