Thieves oil is just the coolest oil. It not only has a ton of uses but the name is so unique! The name was created based on the historical account of four thieves in France who protected themselves from the Black Plague with Cloves, Rosemary and other aromatics. They would rob victims of this disease and when they got captured, they were offered a lighter sentence in exchange for their secret recipe. Thieves oil is a blend of Clove, Rosemary, Cinnamon bark, Lemon and Eucalyptus Radiata.
Clove:Immune enhancing, powerful antioxidant
Lemon Oil: Powerful antioxidant, natural solvent and cleanser, supports circulation
Cinnamon Bark: High in antioxidants, supports digestive system, relieves discomfort
Rosemary Oil: Naturally energizing, helps to restore mental alertness when experiencing mental fatigue
Eucalyptus Radiata: Highly antiviral, supports respiratory system, antibacterial
This oil has been universally tested and found to be highly effective against airborne bacteria. This is such a great oil to have to fight against colds, flu, sore throat, bronchitis, strep, toothache, poison ivy, and eliminates odors. Research from Weber State University in Utah has shown that this oil has a 99.96 percent kill rate against bacteria. I am such a germaphobe… this is music to my ears! 99.96 percent kill rate– wow. The research shows that the Thieves oil effectively interrupts the life cycle of bacteria and also interferes with the ability of viruses to replicate. Studies also confirmed that most viruses and bacteria cannot live in the presence of many essential oils– including two of the oils found in Thieves– Cinnamon and Clove. Die viruses die!
Once I started using Thieves (probably 3 years ago) I saw how effective this oil really is. We really don’t use it in the summer. I think it is because of all the Vitamin D we get. As soon as the kids start school, we start the Thieves routine. My husband is not really on board with all of my helpful health advice, but I can tell you that he is a fan of Thieves. He was desperate one day and I told him to take some Thieves to get rid of his sore throat. It worked immediately. He now reaches for this at the first sign of a sore throat or cold. I do the same… I either rub some on my feet or I gargle with it (one drop in water), or take 1 drop in some honey or milk. You can also put a couple drops in a clear vegetable capsule and swallow. I have the boys gargle with it or I also will dilute some in some carrier oil and rub over their throat. It usually nips the cold or sore throat in the bud! At night, I will rub this on their feet as well. Be careful– this is a hot oil! Make sure that you dilute it if you are putting on the skin. The feet are okay without diluting it. My boys have not had strep throat for years and no antibiotics for years. This stuff is my strep killer. If you really want to drop the flu bomb…. mix Thieves and Oregano oil in a capsule and take a few times a day.
In addition to the oil, there is the Thieves spray (you can spray in your mouth) cleaning products and toothpaste! I use the cleaner, but I make my own Thieves hand soap.
Here is the recipe if you are interested.
2 TB of castile soap (I use Dr. Bronner’s peppermint castile soap– can find this at Target or a health food store)
10-12 drops of Thieves oil
5 drops of lemon oil- lemon oil is optional
fill the rest with distilled water and I usually use a foaming soap dispenser
Another great way to use Thieves is to diffuse it…
I will diffuse this off and on all day in my diffuser when I know something is going around.
This also makes my house smell very yummy… Thieves smells like Christmas in a bottle! You definitely need this in your arsenal for winter– such an amazing oil to keep you and your family healthy.
Here are 50 uses for Thieves oil!
1. Dilute with V-6 Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex and apply to cuts or open wounds to prevent infection and promote healing.
2. Mix with a tablespoon of water, gargle and swallow for a sore throat.
3. Apply undiluted directly to the skin of your upper chest and throat for bronchitis.
4. Place a drop on your thumb and apply to the roof of your mouth for a headache.
5. Put 10-12 drops in a size OO (clear vegetable capsule- you can order on my website) capsule undiluted and swallow. (this is the ultimate flu bomb)
6. Put one drop of oil on your toothbrush to disinfect.
7. Put directly on the soles of your feet to protect you from colds and flu.
8. Breathe in the vapors when you have lung congestion.
9. Use to clean pet cages, creating a healthier environment for them.
10. Add to your dishwasher for cleaner dishes.
11. Add to your laundry cycle for cleaner clothes.
12. Add to your mop water for cleaner floors.
13. Mix with water to make a spray to repel insects on your flowers and plants.
14. Use to dissolve the gummy adhesive on price labels.
15. Apply to bee and wasp stings to neutralize the toxin and relieve the pain.
16. Apply to gums to prevent and treat gum disease.
17. Apply orally to maintain healthy teeth and reduce cavities.
18. Apply to gums and teeth for pain relief from toothaches.
19. Diffuse in homes or business to solve mold problems.
20. Add to orange juice and drink to reduce phlegm and congestion.
21. Apply to broken bones or joints for pain relief and to hasten healing.
22. Put a drop in your cup of tea for flavor and to maintain health.
23. Put on the tip of your tongue to help you stop smoking.
24. Put on cold sores and canker sores to make them disappear.
25. For warts, apply topically, inhale and ingest in capsules to make them disappear.
26. Rub on sore joints to relieve arthritis pain.
27. Drink a few drops in water or juice every three hours to stop a cold.
28. Place a drop on the tongue and a drop in a glass of water every day for herpes.
29. Rub on the bottoms of children’s feet for protection before school every day.
30. Diffuse in the house as your children come home from school every day to kill airborne bacteria.
31. Mix 50:50 with V6 vegetable oil and rub on daily for relief of shingles.
32. Apply a drop (diluted) on wound of a cat or dog to enhance healing.
33. Diffuse in the home or office to stimulate a cheerful mood.
34. Diffuse in the office to increase concentration and work efficiency.
35. Diffuse in your place of business to ward off germs.
36. Diffuse in the classroom to reduce student sickness and absenteeism.
37. Put a few drops in your carpet steamer/cleaner to disinfect carpet.
38. Mix a few drops with honey or agave in a teaspoon for cough relief.
39. Breathe and apply for sinus headaches.
40. Put a drop on a pimple to make it shrink and disappear.
41. For laryngitis put a drop under your tongue to restore your voice.
42. Inhale for relief of allergy symptoms.
43. Take a capsule full every day for relief of Lyme disease symptoms.
44. Carry a bottle on every flight to protect you from germs on the plane.
45. Drop in the heat/AC vents of a hotel to rid it of airborne germs.
46. Mix with baking soda to clean bathtubs.
47. Apply undiluted to the toes and feet to combat fungus.
48. Apply to poison ivy rashes (may need to be diluted with vegetable oil) to relieve the itch.
49. Drop Thieves Oil Blend on a cloth to remove permanent marker stains.
50. Sanitize pierced earrings by cleaning with Thieves Oil Blend.
Few tips: Never use water to dilute an essential oil.
Thieves essential oil should be always be used with a carrier oil because it contains essential oils that are considered ‘hot’ (spicy) which could irritate skin. The essential oils in this blend that are considered hot are: clove and cinnamon bark.
In most applications, mix 3-5 drops of Thieves essential oil with 1 teaspoon (carrier oil). If you find that the application still feels a bit too warm to your skin, simply add more carrier oil to dilute.
Possible skin sensitivity. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Always dilute before applying to the skin or taking internally. Keep out of reach of children.
Sharing experiences with essential oils is an effective way of learning to utilize these powerful gifts from Nature. With this knowledge we can take control of our personal health. However, we are required by law in the USA to state, “These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Products and techniques mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.”